Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Converting to Apple, Honoring Steve Jobs and Fellow Mad Men

1955 - 2011
I wasn't a Macbook user until 2006.  A friend of mine from graduate school convinced me that it was the best laptop to own.  He said I would have no problems with the battery and loading up the desktop home screen would only take one blink of your eye compared to my then Windows laptop which took around 10 minutes to load.  My first Macbook was the sleek black one.  I bought it in the recently opened PowerMac Store in the mall near my office.  I was given a free hot pink sleeve along with it.  

I drove home as fast as I could because I wanted to see if loading the operating system up with really take just a blink of an eye.  So I unpacked it with my friends who were laughing at my enthusiasm over a new laptop.  The black had a matte finish and I was almost afraid to touch it because it would smear its surface.  But I took it out and looked at it as soon as I turned the power on.  I blinked.  There it was the desktop.

I've been reading some articles on Steve Jobs for the past 30 minutes and find myself tearing up a bit on some of them.  He was one of the people I would immediately idolize because of his courage to stand out and venture into places no one has ever been.  He was one of those people our entrepreneurship professor would call "one who can detach and attach at the same time is the one who can multiply himself and reach many places".  He was one of those people who I would look for leadership advise especially in a place where change is most needed and where culture is most stifled from creative potential.  

And in the middle of all my rantings, he would probably say, "Grow up.  Creative genius isn't handed to you in a silver platter.  It's not given to you for free.  You don't look for opportunities to be creative.  You look for problems that need those opportunities.  You want to be creative?  Be comfortable with this mess."

Everyday I encounter a situation that would inhibit me and demotivate me from a more productive momentum.  Just this morning, conversations with staff remind me how human we get when we are pushed against a wall pressured to deliver something impossible.  Today I honor this man, Steve Jobs, who surpassed limits and whose innovation has given me the places where I can breathe and find my own creative self.



the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles - Jack Kerouac

Some tribute pages I liked:

No comments:

Post a Comment